Squidgy Fruit and Nut Bars!
These little bars of goodness are super easy to make, are a great sweet snack, are 100% natural and have absolutely no added sugar.
You can play around with the ingredients too – add more nuts and seeds, pop in some citrus zest, add a little cinnamon – be a devil and experiment!
Here’s the basic recipe.
3 medjool dates, stones removed and chopped
5 soft organic apricots, chopped (unsulphured ones)
1/4 cup water
5 tbspn ground almonds (available in any supermarket)
3 tbspn ground flax seed (some supermarkets stock this, or your local health food store. If you can’t get it simply add more ground almonds)
2 handfulls of nuts and raisins of your choice
1 large handful organic oats
1 tbspn coconut oil melted (we use biona organic raw coconut oil. See how to melt below)
1 tspn freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
2. Pour the blended mixture into a bowl and add the ground almonds, ground flax seed, nuts and raisins and oats, and mix well (we used our hands).
3. Put the coconut oil in a heatproof container and stand it in some hot water for a short while, stirring until the coconut has become liquid. Pour this into the mixture in the bowl.
4. Squeeze over the lemon or lime juice. Use your hands and mix well to form a sticky dough.
5. Tip the mixture onto a non-stick tray, or greaseproof paper on a tray.
6. Using your hands press the mixture down until it is around 1cm thick. If any cracks or breaks appear simply press the mixture together.
7. Refrigerate for a good hour. The mixture will not go hard, it will just firm up.
8. Cut into slices and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
9. Eat and enjoy!